Monday, February 1, 2010

Liberation from Fear

I was quite a loner when I was small at home. I have very limited friends and always owned a book of thoughts. When I left for my studies in Canada, I left behind most of my story books, my book of thoughts and the many scribbles of happiness and sadness of my life. All was gone when I came back. I was angry for a while but finally understood my family's inability to value books, writings and scribblings. They were illiterate and that was good reason enough to not make it into any big deal.

I started a new book of thoughts. I wrote whatever I felt, note down a lot of quotes, poems and stories of inspirations. I never place a discipline to always do it but go with the emotional flow of need. It has worked quite incredibly fine.

I quoted Nelson Mandela's 1994 Inaugural speech in my book of thoughts. I'd like to share this with you.
Liberation from fear is indeed close to many parts of our lives.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate
    Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us
We ask ourselves:
    Who am i to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?
    Actually, who are you not to be?
Your playing small does not serve the world
    There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you
We were born to make manifest the glory that is within us
It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone
And as we let our own light shine,
    We unconciously give other people permission to do the same
As we are liberated from our own fear,
    Our presence automatically liberates others"

Nelson Mandela
Inaugual Speech, 1994

Powerful indeed....

No comments:

Post a Comment