Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Pomegranate Tree

My Grandmother loved her pomegranate tree. It is the hardest tree to live at least in my eyes. It takes forever to grow and it takes forever to bear fruit. Only my Grandmother has the patience to give the tender, loving care it constantly requires.

Pomegranate is mentioned in the Al-Quran 3 times and one ayaat reflects that it is the fruit of Syurga.
"In them (both) will be fruits, and date-palms and pomegranates"
( سورة الرحمن , Ar-Rahman, Chapter #55, Verse #68)
My grandmother swears that eating the pomegranate helps in overall health and brings you closer to Syurga. I remember eating them because I have to and as I grow older, learn to love the smell and the taste. Our home had one pomegranate tree and I have never missed eating the fruit during its season.
 
The pomegranate tree is not there anymore but the memories of that tree is stronger than ever now just like the memories of my grandmother.


the surroundings where i grew up....

No comments:

Post a Comment