Monday, February 22, 2010

The World of Stationeries and Books

I cannot be in places like bookstores or stationery shops or shops selling stationeries. It is really hard to leave without purchasing anything. Be it a pen, a craft paper, a notebook or even a "555" notebook (buku 3"5"). This is one of the biggest obsessions that I still have till today. I believe strongly it is because there is a deprivation of the above during my younger days. I do not mean it in a negative manner; my family is not well to do. Story books and stationeries are not top of the list. Placing food on the table and clothes on our backs ranks high on the list.

 When I started earning my own money, buying story books and stationeries becomes a staple monthly. I read all the books but I have practically no use to some of the stationeries I bought. I just want them because I could not have them when I was younger.

 I own fancy pencils and pens, expensive pens, fountain pens, scissors, stickers, letter pads, simple and beautiful expensive envelopes. I purchase cards for all occasions even though there is no one to send it to or even the occasion for it. I purchase notebooks for my Book of Thoughts even though I have a few already. Then the internet shops hit the world and I have my own address stickers. I order name cards for my children and for me even though I already have the company name cards for free.

 The obsession grew to colour papers, wrapping papers, art papers and art boxes. When I go for business trip, it just amazes me how much stationery junks I take back with me. Hotels are no exception; be it because I was staying there or having a course there, I will definitely take the pencil and sheets of hotel printed writing paper. I still do.

 In the past few years, I have somewhat control my obsession with stationeries. Not books. I still have books that I have not read. Reading is definitely one of the things I would not stop doing but I need to control the “buying” part. It is getting easier as I grow older.


 
What is your obsession?


No comments:

Post a Comment