Friday, April 30, 2010

Memories of New Brunswick


"Hey, why do you wear a scarf like that?"
"Where are you from anyway?"
"Do people in your country still live on trees?"

When we first reach New Brunswick, we were known as the "4 Malay Girls". I can't even remember my first day. What are vivid in my memories are patches of favorite things. The four of us Ren, Zale, Ana and I really were quite odd. Each with our own antiques.

Our first place was a cold, damp, dark and moldy basement somewhat furnished. The MSD Officer (Malaysian Student Department) sent us. It was freezing cold. He was all bundled up and we were not prepared. I remember the first time I saw the snow outside our first place. I think I have pictures of me in the snow making. I remember having my first snow fight that night. It was the only fun memory of snow, after that it was just too much to bear. New Brunswick in winter is heaven in disguise. It looks white and beautiful but oh so very lethal.

I was the girl in the scarf. I was not the most religious but I am determined to keep my word that I would not compromise the scarf. It has helped me always get back to the right path every time I stray to the forbidden alley. The questions on my scarf made me realized of how unprepared I was. It also woke me up to the fact that I still do not know enough about my own religion. How was I supposed to answer questions on religion when I did not know enough? But I do remember boldly thinking that I know enough…probably hurting some friend's feelings along the way. Sometimes I just get really fed up on the questions, I would just say my hair is falling off and I have cancer. But I did survive the 3 years. People get use to the face and they just remember you as you. Alhamdulillah!

The three years I was there, the most valuable were the experience and the friends found. The most prominent not just in my life but all four of us was Garfield Fisher. He is the guy with the log house and the big fish pond. He has the sweetest smile. I seriously thought he was going to marry one of us! He thought the same! We became too close to each other that we're more family than anything else. Great guy! Till this day! I only wish the best for him. He is happily married to his love, Carmen.
Another great friend is Willy - the person who cheered us up or flirt with us (it never worked, Willy!).
Nawi - our one and only senior from Malaysia, a big shot in Petronas now I think (we miss you, Nawi!)
Fahim Khan - our dear friend, the Pakistani with the most frozen Halal Food… :-)
And of course the guy who stole Ren's heart - Braydon Wong
Cindy Savard - I miss her!

As I wrote this, I wish I could remember more but life goes on, memories are kept, friendship rekindles and lost. I have reconnected with Garfield, Willy and Fahim. Found Zale in the process and looking forward to reconnect with Ren and Ana. Those years in New Brunswick has build my character, taught me valuable lessons on friendship, religion and tolerance; experience the world beyond my kampung life; educate me the value of education and the importance of choosing what is important in my life. New Brunswick helps build my character, attitude and behavior.

Thank you!!

Sunday, 25 April, 2010

9:55 PM





 

No comments:

Post a Comment