Monday, April 26, 2010

Tolerance - My Self Centered Thoughts


Previously I have a long and somewhat heated discussion on how we perceive other people. We brand everyone; place a mark on their forehead whilst not knowing their background. We decide who they are before even talking to them. We judge them without them knowing it.

I have always believe that we are born firstly as a human being as clean as a white sheet. As we grow, we are brought up as a child of our parents or guardian. As we grow older we understand our gender, our race and our religion. Along the way, we receive inputs on beliefs, ethics and social etiquettes linking to our gender, race and traditions. We also receive teachings of our religion.

As we grow older, we make decisions on our belief. We go through stages of questions, explorations and understanding. Then the awakening stage of who we think we are and who we want to be. Sometimes, for some of us, we get stuck in those stages and become really confuse and unable to get to the final stage. Not good but that's life.

A good example is me. I am who I am being brought up by my family. I was brought up as Malay from the east coast of Malaysia and a Muslim. In between I get confuse between religion and race beliefs. Some are obvious; some has a very thin line in between. I have to work this out as I grow older (I am still working some things out). As I reach the age of socialization, ability to travel, learn other civilization, meeting others from different race, taking courses on world religion, knowing my neighbor better and realizing how small the world is; I start to understand better.

I do believe I am a woman firstly, who happens to be Malay, believe in Islam and lives in Malaysia.
Do not think I can be taken advantage because I am a woman.
Do not brand me privilege because I am Malay.
Do not assume I consent to war because I am Muslim.
Do not assume I "boleh" because I am a Malaysian.

I am really not much different from a lot of people out there but I do believe as we grow and learn through our experience, we learn the art of tolerance, flexibility and value of principles. In short, just try to get along. If you can't, avoidance is a great way to get through life (I can't speak on this because avoidance in itself is an art). The interesting part of life is acknowledging that not all will be willing to understand tolerance, flexibility and avoidance. The survival of the fittest applies in humans as much as in animal. We fight for everything to continue surviving….even placing religion, principles and beliefs on the shelf when required.

This topic of tolerance gets old and stale at times but it has not cease to exist. Racism, discrimination, religion conflicts and the fight to live in peace will forever exist. In the meantime, I'd like to be self centered and wish all of you to not brand me of anything, assume something I am not or think I am picking from your rice bowl. I'd appreciate it a lot. Thanks.


Saturday, 24 April, 2010
11:54 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment