Monday, January 25, 2010

Akok





This note was originally written in Facebook Thursday, December 3, 2009 at 9:56pm


I actually stopped reading when the first "akok" (kuih akok - sweet dessert) word was used. My grandma sells akok in my neighborhood in Bukit Sekilau. I hate helping her....slaving over the burning of coconut husks, tears running on my cheeks, secretly planning a get away when I get older as I blew the flickers of fire on the husks. I pretended to hate akok in my teens.

As a matter of fact ... I like akok. I love kuih bakar, telur itik, jala emas.... Arwah Mmok was like an artist when it comes to making these desserts. Definitely a must in any Trengganu weddings and most east coast weddings. I do have regrets for not learning to do these incredibly sweet desserts. My will to leave Bukit Sekilau was so strong....nothing else matters.

I remember Arwah Mmok on the pangkin with the akok mixture, giving instructions on what to do so the fire is just right for the akok. She would tell me I have to learn to get the fire right or the akok will turn out bad, girls must know how to do it, it is a skill need to be learnt, just imagine what would become of me if do not do well in the kitchen and so on. I do miss her babbling...

This recipe I have kept for quite sometime and have tried only once way back when there was only me (cannot remember when). Not bad for a first try.

Ingredients
10 pcs of gula melaka - slice it thinly (the standard small size, about a kilo)
7 duck eggs
5 pieces of pandan leaves (or less)
2 cups of coconut milk (from 2 coconut)
1 teaspoon of salt
200gm flour

Method
There is 2 method to make akok
1. Mix the gula melaka with the telur
2. Beat it until kembang
3. Put the daun pandan in (small pieces)
4. Mix in the santan and garam
5. Mix in the flour, make sure there is no lumps
6. Rest the mixture for about 15 to 20 minutes
7. Sieve the mixture, it has to be very fine and with no bubbles.
8. I just place the akok mould in the oven at 200deg C - between 10 to 15 minutes. Kalau nak best of course you need the arang and sabut kelapa...


No comments:

Post a Comment