Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Benteng

This note was originally written in Facebook on Friday, December 18, 2009 at 1:24am





I remember Benteng very well. I had great memories there. Especially with Lily. Lily and her family has a small restaurant there. I love that place. I cannot recall how it looks like before but I remember Lily’s food place was among the first few. Was it number 1, my memory is failing me.

Benteng has a great atmosphere. It is located just beside the Kuantan Bus Station, facing the Kuantan River. I remember the smell of freshly fried keropok lekor and fried bananas. I’d go to Lili’s food shop with my brother or friends. Sometimes just eating, sometimes helping to peel onions (I was incredibly useless at it), and sometimes taking orders. I’d screw up the orders all the time as I was unsure whether Teh-o-beng means with or without ice. I was pathetic. Unlike Lily who matures way before her age and “kitchen” is her first language.

Benteng is still there. It is still referred as “Benteng” by the faithful Kuantan folks, although it is now known as Taman Esplanade. Upgraded with a passageway for nightwalks, there are river rides, new restaurants and food court. The keropok lekor, dry keropok, kerepeks, sagun, belacan, ikan kering stalls are still there. More organized, cleaner and modern. It’s beautiful, the river is definitely cleaner, and the food varies, the washroom cleaner.

Wonder if Lily Mom’s food place is still there....I miss her teh-o-beng......





No comments:

Post a Comment