Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Hippie Fashion and "Nan"


When I was in primary school, my Uncle had a constant squabble nightly with my Grandma, Mmok as I call her. I would be in my room and cheekily peeking through the door keyhole to listen more. It was like a recording night after night;
"Bakpe paka baju gitu? Baju Mmok tu."
"Tõk malu sungguh."
"Mu nak gi duane paka gitu?"
"Buat mende?"
My Uncle would continue whatever he was doing without any reply whatsoever.

It was the 1970's and the fashion was hippie. My Uncle and his friends somehow rather had figured out the cheapest way to be hip. I could not understand it then but years after, it was crystal clear. Hippies then wore clothes somewhat like a kurta for men...

My Uncle, in his glory to be hip, had continuously wore my Mmok's baju kurung nightly to get together with his friends. It was hilarious to see him in a baju kurung but it was as close and as cheap as he could get to looking "hip"!! AND that was the closest he got to be a hippie….a true fashion hippie, definitely not a hippie at heart…no drugs, no girls!

How I wish I could put up the picture of him in the baju kurung with his friends here. It was the epitome of fashion as far as I was concerned! I'd have to chat with him about that when I see him next time.

My Uncle is a man to be admired. He is not that much older than me. I call him by his first name and never did feel he is my Uncle. Deep in my heart, he - "Nan" is my brother. He loves my Mmok unconditionally. Mmok was a complicated woman with very turbulent swings of emotions attached to every sentence. My Uncle is the complete opposite. Quiet, respectful, serious, honest to the bone, patient and the kindest person I know. A simple straight forward man who places his family first. He has many love in his life - his love for soccer, his passion for singing, his love for cats, his undying commitment to his work and the obsession for a perfectly ironed shirt.

I love my Uncle, my big brother in disguise. May he be blessed by Allah with a wonderful family, good health and a permanent place in Syurga. Insyaallah…..

No comments:

Post a Comment