Monday, January 4, 2010

Carpe Diem

Quoted from Wikipedia:
Original usage from Odes 1.11, in English by poet Horace:

"Don't ask (it's forbidden to know) what end
the gods will grant to me or you, Leuconoe. Don't play with Babylonian
fortune-telling either. It is better to endure whatever will be.
Whether Jupiter has allotted to you many more winters or this final one
which even now wears out the Tyrrhenian sea on the rocks placed opposite
be wise, drink your wine, and scale back your long hopes
to a short period. While we speak, envious time will have {already} fled
Seize the day, trusting as little as possible in the next."


In life I have learned that everyday is different in its own way. You really do not know the future. Will you meet up with winter, spring, summer or autumn again? Will there still be a monsoon? Will there be another birthday to celebrate, another child for "khatan" ceremony? Will i get to attend my daughter's wedding?

"Scale back your long hopes to a short period"
I do believe in making the day the best you could. You decide on what you want your day to be - colourful or grey. Seize it, make it yours. make it a day to remember!

When I was younger in a use-to-be small town Kuantan, I believe my whole existence was to get out and be free. Not of the town but of my family. I never see day to day, I see 10 years ahead. Constantly visualizing the life I will have. I believe deeply now that I have suppressed many incredible, beautiful, touching and wonderful memories locked in my brain somewhere.

I am now more convinced that if I try hard enough, there were happiness in my life despite remembering crytally clear all my awful, sad and full of anger memories. The more positive memories has been triggered this past year through reading books which are near to my heart and the way I was brought up. Triggered by long lost friends from my school days.

I should have seize the day then, I would have been able to tell wonderful stories from my childhood. I cannot remember a big chunk of my childhood. It is like a big jigsaw puzzle that's never coming together unless I find the missing pieces.

Is your life a jigsaw puzzle too? How did I get here with the missing pieces? I'm still searching for those pieces while making sure carpe diem is part of me daily.



Notes:
"khatan" - circumcision ceremony

No comments:

Post a Comment